Message from McLeod's Community Safety Director


November Safety Message

Cannabis is now legal in Canada. Here are some ‘cans’ and ‘cannots’ in Edmonton, however, every municipality will have its own bylaw on what you can and cannot do. Please research this before use.

Can in your home and yard

It’s important to know, however, that property owners, landlords, condo boards, and rental companies can further restrict the smoking and growing of cannabis on their properties and common areas.

Can in some parks and trails in Edmonton except as outlined below

Can't when the park contains:

• A playground

• A sports field

• A skate park or bicycle park

• An outdoor theatre

• An outdoor pool or water spray park

• A seasonal skating rink

• An off leash area

Can't on or within any:

• Hospital property

• School property

• Child care facility property

• City-owned golf course

• Cemetery

• Ski hill

• Bus terminal or light rail transit platform

Can't within:

• Sir Winston Churchill Square

• Fort Edmonton Park

• The John Janzen Nature Centre

• The Edmonton Valley Zoo

• The Muttart Conservatory

• William Hawrelak Park

Can't within an area designated as a no smoking area for cannabis:

• Inside any building, including bus shelters, LRT stations and cannabis retail stores

Can on some sidewalks in Edmonton, except as outlined below.

• Within 10 metres from a bus stop or the doorway, window or air intake of a building or patio

• On a patio



Just like alcohol, you cannot consume in a vehicle. This includes public vehicles like buses, taxis and LRT.

In a vehicle being used as a temporary residence, such as a parked RV.

If transporting cannabis in a vehicle, cannabis will need to be contained in closed packaging and out of reach of the driver and any other occupants of the vehicle.

Failure to do could result in the vehicle and all occupants be removed by a peace officer and searched as per the Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act.

Festival and Events
At some festivals and public events, but only in designated areas. Policies for these areas are being developed.

Go to the City of Edmonton website, call 311 or search on the intranet for Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act for more information.

Holiday Season

Christmas parties will be going on in November and December. I ask you not to drink or consume cannabis and drive. 

Plan ahead and have a designated driver, call a cab, take public transportation or use designated driving services to take you and your vehicle home.

Please do not post checkstops on social media. Law enforcement is setting these up to help catch impaired drivers so they do not injure or kill themselves or you or me. If you spot an impaired driver, call 911. Provide as much as information to the police such as make and model of vehicle, licence plate, and direction of travel. If you can, and it is safe, try to follow the vehicle until police can locate and stop the vehicle. Do not break any rules of the road or do anything unsafe to follow.

If you have any questions, please contact me at

Ryan Bendara
Community Safety Director